Dear Parents and Students,
Welcome to the 2016-17 school year! It is with great excitement that we open our doors for a new year at the Russell O. Brackman Middle School. We are proud of our past accomplishments and look forward to a productive and rewarding year. It is an honor to work with such a dedicated and talented staff, awesome students, supportive families, and an outstanding community. This is an especially exciting time of year for all of us. Our focus is to create a learning environment that inspires innovative thinking. Currently, I am reading a book, The Innovator’s Mindset by George Couros, which is inspiring and aligned with our school vision. To this end, I’ve invited our staff to join me in a book study; as George Couros said, “If we want innovative students, we need innovative educators.” Although there are not any schedule changes this year, the world and the educational system continues to be changing all around us. Our staff have been diligently continuing their own professional learning opportunities embracing new initiatives and developing new strategies to enhance the learning experiences of our children in all disciplines. I look forward to working with each of you to make this school year a success.
With the start of the school year there are many items which need your attention. Some items are available for viewing on the district website, others will either be mailed or come home in an envelope with your child. Please note:
1. Emergency illness card; please complete, sign and return to school as soon as possible.
2. Student demographics form (mailed home with the homeroom letter). Please review this form, indicate any changes and return it to your child’s homeroom teacher by September 15th.
3. The Code of Conduct Verification Form; please read the code of conduct (found on the Brackman page of the District website). This form must be signed by you, and your child, and returned to school by September 15th.
PTA membership and volunteer forms. Our PTA is a valuable link between home and school and we appreciate your support. Please complete the forms and return to the Main Office.
Additionally please note the following:
• School begins for students on Tuesday, September 6, 2015 at 7:40AM. September 6th and 7th will be an early dismissal day; students will be dismissed at 11:40 AM. Students will resume their regular schedule on Wednesday, September 8th. Regular day school hours are: 7:40 AM – 2:20 PM;
• School Picture Day is Tuesday, September 13, 2016. Your child will bring home a school picture day order envelope. Picture Day envelopes should be brought in on picture day;
• Back to School Night will be held on Monday, September 26, 2016 at 6:30 PM. We look forward to seeing everyone then. Parents will be able to purchase yearbooks at a “presale” price on Back to School Night;
• Please make every effort to join our PTA. Our first PTA meeting will take place on September 21st at 7:00 PM;
• We encourage you to use Parent Portal to view your child’s grades, please reach out to us if you need assistance establishing an account;
• Be sure to check the district website (www.barnegatschools.com) for important information about summer reading/math assignments, athletics, and our student handbook. The student handbook contains the dress code, cell phone policy, and grading policy;
• Save these dates: Parent Teacher Conferences will be held the week of November 28th. For your convenience, evening conferences will be held on November 29th and December 1st.
We look forward to working with you and your child during the upcoming school year. Please feel free to contact me at any time if you have questions, concerns, or praises. Together we can develop a positive working relationship between the home and school to provide your child with the best opportunity to be a successful student at the Russell O. Brackman Middle School.
Thank you for your support.
John Fiorentino, Principal